At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We're looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.Responsibilities
The Industrial Design lead will support the industrial design leader to drive the design activities for development of Lilly's drug delivery devices/systems within the Delivery, Device, and Connected Solutions (DDCS) Research and Development area. We are looking for motivated individuals that will work to craft a design culture within Lilly and develop a community of design thinking champions that will always put the user first.
Your extensive expertise in design will play an important role in establishing a process for ideal design output quality and consistency. The role will drive design vision in partner with integrated collaboration within a multi-disciplinary design team and with multi-functional partners. You will collaborate effectively with human factors, medical, marketing, engineering, quality, regulatory and manufacturing team members to apply human-centered design methodologies in order to provide intuitive, aesthetically purposeful, emotionally satisfying, and manufacturable products that meet the expectations of users as well as Lilly's brand identity.
The position requires excellent organizational, design problem solving, and communication skills. You should have demonstrated ability to lead multi-functional teams to consensus, to think creatively in a fast-paced environment, to lead multiple projects simultaneously and to direct internal capability and external consultants. Other responsibilities include:
You should also ensure:
- Leads hardware design efforts from early to late stages of device development supplying feedback to all aspects of design including product development strategy, concept development, design language, device interaction experience, design for manufacturability.
- Provides expert Industrial Design guidance to device engineering groups based on technical inputs from multiple and varied functions (e.g. market research, usability studies, manufacturing).
- Partners with Human Factors and Design Engineers to translate user needs into viable concepts, develop initial device prototypes, and support IFU and packaging development.
- Advocates for design and user experience and establishes new partnerships inside and outside of the company.
- Leads multiple design programs with internal and external design resources.
- Quality design solutions are delivered in the areas of devices, labeling, and packaging.
- Outputs are consistent with the Lilly brand and design intent.
- Design for manufacturability is considered, as appropriate, throughout the development lifecycle.
47939BR Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Arts, or Bachelor of Science in Industrial Design or a design related discipline
- Extensive experience (5+ years) in the application of design
- Experience in the development of medical devices or combination products
- Familiarity with the product development process from user needs identification to manufacturing.
- Demonstrated visual, written, and verbal communication skills and an ability to perform within a cross- functional environment.
- Ability to apply hands-on skills in brainstorming, storyboarding, concept development/evaluation, and idea refinement using industrial design industry standard tools.
- A deep knowledge and experience with challenging manufacturing constraints, color, materials and finishing, forecasting trends, and branding.
- Prior supervisory experience.
- Masters degree
- Estimated travel (domestic and international) is approximately 25% per year
- Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status